GSAAC Buffalo Soldiers
Greater Southern Arizona Area Chapter
Buffalo Soldier Scholarship Award
Trooper Jolivet was born and raised in Nogales, Arizona, and was a graduate of Nogales High School. He attended the U of A and graduated from ASU. Clarence was employed for 30 years as a teacher and counselor by TUSD. He was an active member of the GSAA Chapter of the 9th and 10th Calvary serving as the chapter Historian
The GSAAC wishes to provide interested students information regarding its scholarship opportunities for the academic year 2017/2018. The scholarship award is $1,000.
- Graduating high school seniors may apply.
- A Senior year GPA must be a minimum of “2.5 GPA.”
- An official high school transcript (freshman year through 1st semester of senior year).
- A letter detailing their goals/objectives for the high education they will receive. Please include in the letter a brief history of your background and career goals.
- A 300 – 500 word essay on a distinguished Buffalo Soldier. Essay needs to be type written, using a doubled-spaced format. The essay should include:
- A brief summary of that person’s life and times.
- How his/her life inspires you for the future.
- Two letters of recommendation:
- One letter from the student’s high school administrator, guidance counselor or teacher.
- One letter from a person or organization knowledgeable of the student’s contribution to the community (i.e. community service, volunteer work or church involvement etc.)
- A letter of acceptance to one of the following post-secondary educational institution:
- Junior college
- Community college
- Professional Career College (i.e. Brookline, Carrington etc)/Vocational Institution
The GSAAC scholarship committee reserves the right to determine if an institution meets its requirements.